- 1) Metronidazole long has been the drug of choice for the treatment of trichomoniasis and more recently in combination with idoquinol for the treatment of symptomatic amebiasis.
- 2) It is also the drug of choice for the treatment of Dracunculus (guinea worm).
- 3) It is the alternative drug to treat giardiasis, balantidiasis, blastocystitis, and infections by Entameba polecki.
- 4) It is used widely for the treatment and prophylaxis of infections caused by anaerobic bacteria.
- 5) It is a drug of choice against GI strains of Bacteroides fragilis ; and vaginal infections caused by Gardnerella vaginalis.
- 6) It has been used successfully in the treatment of antibiotic-associated psedomembranous colitis.
- 7) It is also useful in Crohn's disease*.
Was this article helpful?
This fact sheet is designed to provide you with information on Bacterial Vaginosis. Bacterial vaginosis is an abnormal vaginal condition that is characterized by vaginal discharge and results from an overgrowth of atypical bacteria in the vagina.
Get My Free Ebook