When you have completed this section, you should be able to
- state the characteristics that distinguish living organisms from nonliving objects;
- explain the importance of defining a reference man and woman;
- define homeostasis and explain why this concept is central to physiology;
- define negative feedback, give an example of it, and explain its importance to homeostasis; and
- define positive feedback and give examples of its beneficial and harmful effects.
Was this article helpful?
This ebook provides an introductory explanation of the workings of the human body, with an effort to draw connections between the body systems and explain their interdependencies. A framework for the book is homeostasis and how the body maintains balance within each system. This is intended as a first introduction to physiology for a college-level course.
Get My Free Ebook