When you have completed this section, you should be able to
- explain how skeletal muscle meets its energy demands during rest and exercise;
- explain the basis of muscle fatigue and soreness;
- define oxygen debt and explain why extra oxygen is needed even after an exercise has ended;
- distinguish between two physiological types of muscle fibers, and explain the functional roles of these two types;
- discuss the factors that affect muscular strength; and
- discuss the effects of resistance and endurance exercises on muscle.
Was this article helpful?
This ebook provides an introductory explanation of the workings of the human body, with an effort to draw connections between the body systems and explain their interdependencies. A framework for the book is homeostasis and how the body maintains balance within each system. This is intended as a first introduction to physiology for a college-level course.
Get My Free Ebook