Muscles of the Trunk
When you have completed this section, you should be able to
- name and locate the muscles of respiration and explain how they affect abdominal pressure;
- name and locate the muscles of the abdominal wall, back, and pelvic floor; and
- identify the origin, insertion, action, and innervation of any of these muscles.
Think About It
Of the muscles you have studied so far, name three that you would consider intrinsic muscles of the head and three that you would classify as extrinsic. Explain your reason for each.
Before You Go On
Answer the following questions to test your understanding of the preceding section:
- Name two muscles that elevate the upper lip and two that depress the lower lip.
- Name the four paired muscles of mastication and state where they insert on the mandible.
- Distinguish between the functions of the suprahyoid and infrahyoid muscles.
- List the prime movers of neck extension and flexion.
Was this article helpful?
This ebook provides an introductory explanation of the workings of the human body, with an effort to draw connections between the body systems and explain their interdependencies. A framework for the book is homeostasis and how the body maintains balance within each system. This is intended as a first introduction to physiology for a college-level course.
Get My Free Ebook