Testing Your Comprehension
Chapter ll Muscular Tissue 44l
- Without ATP, relaxed muscle cannot contract and a contracted muscle cannot relax. Explain why.
- Slight pH variations can cause enzymes to change conformation and can reduce enzyme activity. Explain how this relates to muscle fatigue.
- Why would skeletal muscle be unsuitable for the wall of the urinary bladder? Explain how this illustrates the complementarity of form and function at a cellular and molecular level.
- As skeletal muscle contracts, one or more bands of the sarcomere become narrower and disappear, and one or more of them remain the same width. Which bands will change—A, H, or I—and why?
- Botulism occurs when a bacterium, Clostridium botulinum, releases a neurotoxin that prevents motor neurons from releasing ACh. In view of this, what early signs of botulism would you predict? Explain why a person with botulism could die of suffocation.
Was this article helpful?
If Pregnancy Is Something That Frightens You, It's Time To Convert Your Fear Into Joy. Ready To Give Birth To A Child? Is The New Status Hitting Your State Of Mind? Are You Still Scared To Undergo All The Pain That Your Best Friend Underwent Just A Few Days Back? Not Convinced With The Answers Given By The Experts?
Get My Free Ebook