Testing Your Comprehension
- What aspect of William Harvey's view of blood circulation could be considered a scientific hypothesis? What would you predict from that hypothesis? What observation could you carry out today to test this hypothesis?
- Which of the characteristics of living things are possessed by an automobile? What bearing does this have on our definition of life?
- About 1 out of every 120 live-born infants has a structural defect in the heart such as a hole between two heart chambers. Such infants often suffer pulmonary congestion and heart failure, and about one-third of them die as a result. Which of the major themes in this chapter does this illustrate? Explain your answer.
- How might human anatomy be different today if the forerunners of humans had never inhabited the forest canopy?
- Suppose you have been doing heavy yard work on a hot day and sweating profusely. You become very thirsty, so you drink a tall glass of lemonade. Explain how your thirst relates to the concept of homeostasis. Which type of feedback—positive or negative— does this illustrate?
Answers at the Online Learning Center
Was this article helpful?
This ebook provides an introductory explanation of the workings of the human body, with an effort to draw connections between the body systems and explain their interdependencies. A framework for the book is homeostasis and how the body maintains balance within each system. This is intended as a first introduction to physiology for a college-level course.
Get My Free Ebook