Testing Your Recall
- Which of the following is unique to the thumb?
- gliding joint b. hinge joint c. saddle joint d. condyloid joint e. pivot joint
- Which of the following is the least movable?
- diarthrosis b. synarthrosis c. symphysis d. syndesmosis e. condyloid joint
- Which of the following movements are unique to the foot?
- dorsiflexion and inversion b. elevation and depression c. circumduction and rotation d. abduction and adduction e. opposition and reposition
- Which of the following joints cannot be circumducted?
- carpometacarpal b. metacarpophalangeal c. humeroscapular d. coxal e. interphalangeal
- Which of the following terms denotes a general condition that includes the other four?
- gout b. arthritis c. rheumatism d. osteoarthritis e. rheumatoid arthritis
- In the adult, the ischium and pubis are united by a. a synchondrosis.
- a diarthrosis.
- a synostosis.
- an amphiarthrosis.
- a symphysis.
- In a second-class lever, the effort a. is applied to the end opposite the fulcrum.
- is applied to the fulcrum itself.
- is applied between the fulcrum and resistance.
- always produces an MA less than 1.0.
- is applied on one side of the fulcrum to move a resistance on the other side.
- Which of the following joints has anterior and posterior cruciate ligaments?
- the shoulder b. the elbow c. the hip d. the knee e. the ankle
- To bend backward at the waist involves _of the vertebral column.
- rotation b. hyperextension c. dorsiflexion d. abduction e. flexion
- The rotator cuff includes the tendons of all of the following muscles except a. the subscapularis.
- the supraspinatus.
- the infraspinatus.
- the biceps brachii.
- the teres minor.
- The lubricant of a diarthrosis is
- A fluid-filled sac that eases the movement of a tendon over a bone is called a/an .
joint allows one bone to swivel on another.
14 ._is the science of movement.
- The joint between a tooth and the mandible is called a/an_.
- In a_suture, the articulating bones have interlocking wavy margins, somewhat like a dovetail joint in carpentry.
- In kicking a football, what type of action does the knee joint exhibit?
- The angle through which a joint can move is called its_.
- Both the shoulder and hip joints are somewhat deepened and supported by a ring of fibrocartilage called a/an
- The femur is prevented from slipping sideways off the tibia in part by a pair of cartilages called the lateral and medial_.
Answers in Appendix B
Saladin: Anatomy & I 9. Joints I Text I I © The McGraw-Hill
Physiology: The Unity of Companies, 2003 Form and Function, Third Edition
324 Part Two Support and Movement
Was this article helpful?
Arthritis is a general term which is commonly associated with a number of painful conditions affecting the joints and bones. The term arthritis literally translates to joint inflammation.
Get My Free Ebook