Testing Your Recall
- Below L2, the vertebral canal is occupied by a bundle of spinal nerve roots called a. the terminal filum.
- the descending tracts.
- the gracile fasciculus.
- the medullary cone.
- the cauda equina.
- The brachial plexus gives rise to all of the following nerves except a. the axillary nerve.
- the radial nerve.
- the saphenous nerve.
- the median nerve.
- the ulnar nerve.
- Nerve fibers that adjust the tension in a muscle spindle are called a. intrafusal fibers.
- extrafusal fibers.
- a motor neurons.
- 7 motor neurons.
- annulospiral fibers.
Saladin: Anatomy & I 13. The Spinal Cord, Spinal I Text I © The McGraw-Hill
Physiology: The Unity of Nerves, and Somatic Companies, 2003
Form and Function, Third Reflexes Edition
512 Part Three Integration and Control
4. A stretch reflex requires the action of
_to prevent an antagonistic muscle from interfering with the agonist.
- 7 motor neurons b. a withdrawal reflex c. a crossed extensor reflex d. reciprocal inhibition e. a contralateral reflex
- A patient has a gunshot wound that caused a bone fragment to nick the spinal cord. The patient now feels no pain or temperature sensations from that level of the body down. Most likely, the_was damaged.
- gracile fasciculus b. medial lemniscus c. tectospinal tract d. lateral corticospinal tract e. spinothalamic tract
- Which of these is not a region of the spinal cord?
- cervical b. thoracic c. pelvic d. lumbar e. sacral
- In the spinal cord, the somas of the lower motor neurons are found in a. the cauda equina.
- the dorsal horns.
- the ventral horns.
- the dorsal root ganglia.
- the fasciculi.
- The outermost connective tissue wrapping of a nerve is called the a. epineurium.
- arachnoid membrane.
- dura mater.
- The intercostal nerves between the ribs arise from which spinal nerve plexus?
- cervical b. brachial c. lumbar d. sacral e. none of them
- All somatic reflexes share all of the following properties except a. they are quick.
- they are monosynaptic.
- they require stimulation.
- they are involuntary.
- they are stereotyped.
- Outside the CNS, the somas of neurons are clustered in swellings called_.
- Distal to the intervertebral foramen, a spinal nerve branches into a dorsal and ventral_.
- The cerebellum receives feedback from the muscles and joints by way of the_tracts of the spinal cord.
- In the_reflex, contraction of flexor muscles in one limb is accompanied by the contraction of extensor muscles in the contralateral limb.
- Modified muscle fibers serving primarily to detect stretch are called
- The_nerves arise from the cervical plexus and innervate the diaphragm.
- The crossing of a nerve fiber or tract from the right side of the CNS to the left, or vice versa, is called_.
- The nonvisual awareness of the body's position and movements is called_.
- The_ganglion contains the somas of neurons that carry sensory signals to the spinal cord.
- The sciatic nerve is a composite of two nerves, the_and_.
Answers in Appendix B
Was this article helpful?
This ebook provides an introductory explanation of the workings of the human body, with an effort to draw connections between the body systems and explain their interdependencies. A framework for the book is homeostasis and how the body maintains balance within each system. This is intended as a first introduction to physiology for a college-level course.
Get My Free Ebook