Testing Your Recall
- Which of the following muscles is the prime mover in spitting out a mouthful of liquid?
- platysma b. buccinator c. risorius d. masseter e. palatoglossus
- Each muscle fiber has a sleeve of areolar connective tissue around it called a. the deep fascia.
- the superficial fascia.
- the perimysium.
- the epimysium.
- the endomysium.
- Which of these is not a suprahyoid muscle?
- genioglossus b. geniohyoid c. stylohyoid d. mylohyoid e. digastric
- Which of these muscles is an extensor of the neck?
- external oblique b. sternocleidomastoid c. splenius capitis d. iliocostalis e. latissimus dorsi
- Which of these muscles of the pelvic floor is the deepest?
- superficial transverse perineus b. bulbospongiosus c. ischiocavernosus d. deep transverse perineus e. levator ani
- Which of these actions is not performed by the trapezius?
- extension of the neck b. depression of the scapula c. elevation of the scapula d. rotation of the scapula e. adduction of the humerus
- Both the hands and feet are acted upon by a muscle or muscles called a. the extensor digitorum.
- the abductor digiti minimi.
- the flexor digitorum profundus.
- the abductor hallucis.
- the flexor digitorum longus.
- Which of the following muscles does not extend the hip joint?
- quadriceps femoris b. gluteus maximus c. biceps femoris d. semitendinosus e. semimembranosus
- Both the gastrocnemius and_
- The of a muscle is the point muscles insert on the heel by way of the calcaneal tendon.
- semimembranosus b. tibialis posterior c. tibialis anterior d. soleus e. plantaris
- Which of the following muscles raises the upper lip?
- levator palpebrae superioris b. orbicularis oris c. zygomaticus minor d. masseter e. mentalis where it attaches to a relatively stationary bone.
- A bundle of muscle fibers surrounded by perimysium is called a/an_.
- The_is the muscle primarily responsible for a given movement at a joint.
- The three large muscles on the posterior side of the thigh are commonly known as the_
15. Connective tissue bands called_
prevent flexor tendons from rising like bowstrings.
- The anterior half of the perineum is a region called the_.
- The abdominal aponeuroses converge on a median fibrous band on the abdomen called the_.
- A muscle that works with another to produce the same or similar movement is called a/an_.
- A muscle somewhat like a feather, with fibers obliquely approaching its tendon from both sides, is called a/an _muscle.
- A circular muscle that closes a body opening is called a/an_.
Answers in Appendix B
Saladin: Anatomy & Physiology: The Unity of Form and Function, Third Edition
390 Part Two Support and Movement
Was this article helpful?
This ebook provides an introductory explanation of the workings of the human body, with an effort to draw connections between the body systems and explain their interdependencies. A framework for the book is homeostasis and how the body maintains balance within each system. This is intended as a first introduction to physiology for a college-level course.
Get My Free Ebook