- Should these requests be handled as stat requests or as routine orders?
- How should the blood films be examined and why is it important to identify any organisms present to the species level?
- What are the chances that a malarial infection could be a "mixed infection"?
- Can malaria parasites be detected usine automated.
- Chen LH, Keystone JS: New strategies for the prevention malaria in travelers. Infect Dis Clin North Am 19:185, 2005.
- Clark DP; New insights into human crypiosporidiosis, Clin Microbiol Rev 12:554,1999.
- Desjeux P: Leishmaniasis: current situation and new perspectives, Comp Immunol Microbiol Jnfect Dis 27:305,2004.
- Espinosa-Cantellano M, Martine2-Paloma A: Pathogenesis of intestinal amebiasis: from molecules to disease, Clin Microbiol Rev 13:318,2000.
- Payer R: Cryptosporidium; a water-borne zoonotic parasite, Vet Parasitol 126:37,2004.
- Garcia LS: Diagnostic medical parasitology, ed 5, Washington, DC, 2007, ASM Press.
- Garcia LS: Practical guide to diagnostic parasitology, Washington, DC, 1999, ASM Press.
- Garcia LS, Shimizu RY: Detection of Giardia lamblia and Cryptosporidium parvum antigens in human fecal specimens using the ColorPAC combination rapid solid-phase qualitative immuno-chromatographic assay, J Clin Microbiol38:1267,2000.
9, Garcia LS, Shimizu RY, Bernard CN: Detection ol Giardia lamblia, Entamoeba histolytica/E. dispar, and Cryptosporidium parvum antigens in human fecal specimens using the EIA Triage Parasite Panel, I Clin Microbiol 38:3337,2000.
- Greenwood BM, Bojang K, Whitty CJ, et al: Malaria, Lancet 365:1487,2005.
- Isenberg HD, editor Clinical microbiology procedures handbook, vol 1, 2, and 3, ed 2, Washington, DC, 2005, ASM Press.
- Isenberg HD, editor: Essential procedures for clinical microbiology, Washington, DC 1995, ASM Press.
- Keiser PB, Nutman TB: Strongyloides stercoral in the immunocompromised population, Clin Microbiol Rev 17:208,2004.
- Kerr SF, McHugh CP, Merkelz R: Short report- a focus of Leishmania mexicana near TYicson, Arizona, Am J Trop Med Hyg 61:378,1999,
- Krause PJ: Babesiosis diagnosis and treatment, Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis 3:45,2003.
- Magill AJ: Cutaneous leishmaniasis in the returning traveler. Infect Dis Clin North Am 19:241,2005.
- Markell EK, Voge M, John DT: Medical parasitology, ed 7, Philadelphia, 1992, WB Saunders.
- Manens p, Hall L' Malaria on the move: human population movement and malaria transmission, Emerg Infra Dis 6:103,2000.
- Melvin DM, Brooke MM: Laboratory procedures for the diagnosis of intestinal parasites, US Department of Health, Education, and Welfare Pub No (CDC) 85-8282, Washington, DC, 1985, U.S. Government Printing Office.
- National Committee for Clinical Laboratory Standards/Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute: Procedures for the recovery and identification ol parasites from the intestinal tract; Approved guideline M28-A2, Villanova, Pa, 2005, Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute.
- National Committee for Clinical Laboratory Standards/Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute: Laboratory Diagnosis of Blood-borne Parasitic Diseases; Approved guideline M15-A, Wayne, Pa, 2000, Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute.
- Noel C, Dufernez F, Gerbod D, et al: Molecular phytogenies of Blastocysts isolates from different hosts: implications for genetic diversity, identification of spedes, and zoonosis, J Clin Microbiol 43:348, 2005,
- Pasvol G: Management of severe malaria: interventions and controversies, Infect Dis Clin North Am 19:211,2005.
- Paulinoa M, Iribamea F, Dubinb M, et al: The dtemotherapy of Chagas' disease: an overview, Mini Rev Med Chem 5:499,2005.
- Schwebke JR, Burgess Dr Trichomoniasis, Clin Microbiol Rev 17.794,2004.
- Shields JM, Olson BH: Cyclospora cayetanensis: a review of an emerging parasitic cocddian, Int J Parasitol 33:371,2003,
- Han KS: Blastocysts in humans and animals: new insights using modem methodologies, Vet Parasitol 126:121,2004.
- Tanyuksel M, Petri WA Jn Laboratory diagnosis of amebiasis, Clin Microbiol Rev 16:713,2003.
- Thompson RC, Monis FT Variation in Giardia: implications for taxonomy and epidemiology, Adv Parasitol 58:69,2004.
- Wilson M Schantz PM: Parasitic immunodiagnosis. In Strickland GT, editor Hunter's tropical mediane and emerging infectious diseases, ed 8, Philadelphia, 2000, WB Saunders.
- Xiao I* Ryan UM: Cryptosporidiosis: an update in molecular epidemiology, CurrOpin Infect Dis 17:483,2004.
Was this article helpful?
This fact sheet is designed to provide you with information on Bacterial Vaginosis. Bacterial vaginosis is an abnormal vaginal condition that is characterized by vaginal discharge and results from an overgrowth of atypical bacteria in the vagina.
Get My Free Ebook